2015 Carrie McCray Memorial Literary Awards
Submissions will be accepted from April 1 to April 30, 2015. Winning entries will be published October, 2015 in The Petigru Review and monetary award amounts are contingent on participation, but will start at $100.00 minimum for first place winners. Genres include First Chapter of a Novel, Short Story and Creative Nonfiction. Pleae see the guidelines below.
HISTORY OF THE AWARD: Carrie Allen McCray was one of the founders and first board members of the South Carolina Writers’ Workshop. Her published works include Ajös Means Goodbye (1966), The Black Woman and Family Rules (1980), and her first person memoir, Freedom’s Child: The life of a Confederate General’s Black Daughter (1998). While about her mom, it is also Carrie’s story. Her poetry has appeared in such magazines as Ms. and The River Styx. She died on July 25, 2008, aged 94.
The 2014 Carrie McCray Memorial Literary Awards will feature three genres:First Chapter Novel – up to 3500 words
Short Story – up to 2500 words
Creative Nonfiction – up to 2000 words
Submissions that exceed the length limit in any category will be disqualified.
Only one submission per category allowed.
Submissions must be emailed no earlier than April 1, 2015 and no later than April 30, 2015.
The competition is open to SCWW members and non-members. Reading fees: members – $25.00/submission; non-members – $50.00/submission.
Contact Irena Tervo, Membership Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your membership status. New members are always welcome.
Each entry will be scored in the areas listed below on a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being the best, for a possible perfect score of 30. Winning pieces must have a score of 24 or above.
CONTENT = creativity, originality
STRUCTURE = grammar, mechanics
STYLE = story arc, aesthetics success, cohesion
Members of the SCWW Contest Committee or SCWW Board of Directors are not eligible. Anyone winning or placing in a category cannot enter the same category the following year; anyone winning or placing in the Carrie McCray Memorial Literary Awards two consecutive years is not eligible for one year in any category.
With the exception of work previously published in The Quill, only unpublished work is eligible. The same work cannot be submitted to both the Carrie McCray Literary Awards and The Petigru Review. If a piece has been accepted for publication elsewhere following submission, notify the SCWW Contests Chair immediately to withdraw it from consideration.
First Place – $100.00 and publication in The Petigru Review
Second Place – publication in The Petigru Review
Third place – certificate of honorable mention
Authors whose work is selected for publication in the 2015 volume of The Petigru Review will receive two contributor’s copies. SCWW retains first-time print publication rights until the anthology is published, at which time rights revert to the author. The Petigru Review also reserves ebook rights for the anthology only. SCWW also solicits authors’ non-exclusive first Internet archival rights for online archiving.
SCWW reserves the right to edit the winning pieces at The Petigru Review editor’s sole discretion.
Proofreading is important.
- No paper copies will be accepted. Only electronic submissions are allowed.
- All submissions must follow standard manuscript formatting. Use only 12 point Times New Roman font, auto-indent paragraphs, and double-space.
- The title and page number must appear on every page of a submission. The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript(s), including in the body of the work.
- Each submission package must include one cover sheet that may be downloaded here.
- Send a copy of each manuscript as a Microsoft Word attachment (with a “.doc” suffix, not “.docx”) in a separate e-mail to email@example.com.
- In the Subject line type Carrie McCray 2015. In the body of the e-mail include an author biography of up to 100 words. Please also attach a high resolution color or black and white photo of yourself, preferably a head shot.
- All emails with attachments must be sent between April 1, 2015 and April 30, 2015.
- Submissions that do not adhere to the guidelines will be disqualified and the entrant notified.
There is a $25.00 reading fee required with each submission for members and $50.00 reading fee per submission for non-members.
Make your payment here via credit card. You do not need a PayPal account.
A. Members Online Reading Fee Payment Option
B. Non-members Online Reading Fee Payment Option
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.