2015 Pushcart Nominees
Jane S. Gari for “Shakespeare’s Daughters”
Valerie Keiser Norris for “Holy Vows”
M.B. Gibson for “Waiting Room”
Michael Hugh Lythgoe for “Poem in Lent for Jack”
Len Lawson for “Deep Sea”
The Petigru Review – 2016 Submission Guidelines
Submissions Open from March 1st – May 1st, 2016
The Petigru Review-2016 will feature the best writing of SCWW members in three categories: fiction (including flash fiction), creative nonfiction and poetry.
The Petigru Review is the annual literary journal that strives to showcase only the best writing by our South Carolina Writers Workshop Members. Only members of SCWW are eligible to enter submissions. If interested in becoming a member of SCWW, click here.
The contest is open only to SCWW members whose membership dues are paid and in good standing.
Entries must be written in English. (See Manuscript Formatting below)
The Petigru Review will feature four (4) genres:
- Fiction – word count limit 3,000 words
- Creative Nonfiction – word count limit 3,000 words
- Flash Fiction – submit up to two (2) flash pieces, word count limit 700 words for each
- Poetry – submit up to three (3) poems, not to exceed 80 lines in total
Each member is free to enter as many categories as he/she chooses. Submissions that exceed the length limit in any category or in total will be disqualified.
SCWW retains first-time print publication rights until the literary journal is published, after which the rights revert back to the author. The Petigru Review also reserves e-book rights for the journal only. SCWW solicits authors’ non-exclusive first Internet archival rights for online archiving.
All submissions must be previously un-published (including self-publishing and online such as blogs, message boards, Facebook etc.)
Simultaneous submissions are permitted as long as the author immediately notifies the editor of The Petigru Review when a piece has been accepted elsewhere.
SCWW members cannot submit the same work to both The Carrie McCray Competition and The Petigru Review Journal. If so, the piece becomes automatically disqualified.
While we reserve the right to edit a submission, any revisions will be communicated to the author and the author can choose to either accept or reject them. Be aware that refusal to accept edits may result in being denied publication.
Authors whose works are selected for publication in The Petigru Review, will receive a contributor copy.
- In the subject line of your email: Type Petigru Review, the category you are submitting to and your last name (Ex: Petigru Review, Flash Fiction, Johnson)
- If you are submitting in more than one category, you must send a separate email for each submission you are entering. For example, if you are entering in both the nonfiction category and poetry category, you would send two emails, one for each category.
- The title and page number must appear on every page of the submission.
- The author’s name, address, email, or any identifying features must not appear anywhere on the manuscript(s), including in the body of the work.
- In the body of the email, please include an author biography of up to 100 words. Please also attach a high resolution color or black and white photograph of yourself, preferably a head shot.
- No paper copies will be accepted. Only electronic submissions are allowed.
- All submissions must be in English, and follow standard manuscript formatting: 12 point font, Times New Roman Font, auto-indents to paragraphs, and be double spaced (except in the case of poetry).
- Send a copy of each manuscript as a Microsoft Word attachment in a separate email to email@example.com.
SCWW also seeks digital images for inclusion in The Petigru Review. Photos may be taken anywhere in the world.
Photos may be submitted through the end of May. Color photos are preferred. Black and white photos are certainly accepted.
The editor looks for artistic images and photos of original art work: drawings, paintings, sculpture, or other media. If the subject of the photo is not the photographer’s, the artist must supply a release form available via email from the editor. Art work on public display is usually exempt from this release as long as the work is part of a composition. Limit of 10 photos per individual. The editor reserves the right to solicit additional photos.
Submit color or black-and-white photos only as attachments to an email. Include in the subject line TPR 2016 Photo and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Photos must be high resolution JPG or TIFF files, portrait or landscape orientation. Hi-res photos are usually larger than 1 megabyte and can be as high as 10-20 megabytes. Submit only one to three photos per email as most Internet service providers have limits on attachment sizes. Digital art and images of original drawings such as flourishes, line drawings, etc., may also be submitted.
Photos of people whose faces are identifiable may be accepted, providing a model release is obtained for each individual in the picture. If a model release form is required the editor will supply one.
The editor reserves the right to crop photos/images for content.
Photo submissions are considered separate from the writing competition and will be used on a discretionary basis. No compensation will be paid for photos, except the photographer/artist whose work is chosen for the cover art will receive a contributor copy of the issue in which his/her work appears. Photos used will be credited, and photographers/artists will have short bios in The Petigru Review.
For accepted photos SCWW acquires one time rights, non-exclusive first Internet archival rights and first e-reader rights. Upon publication all other rights revert to the photographer.
Please submit photos as JPG or TIFF attachments to: email@example.com. Put TPR 2016 Photo in the subject line.